There is nothing more wholesome on a cold day then a warm homemade Irish stew. This simple irish stew recipe was passed down by my mother and is so easy to follow and very versatile. You can use various different meats and can add in whatever vegetables you like. Even with zero cooking experience you should be able to prepare a beautiful homemade stew.
All of the below Irish stew recipe ingredients can be easily found in any Irish supermarket but if you need any clarification as always feel free to contact me.
- Large Frying Pan
- Casserole Dish
- 900g/2lb Diced Beef (or Lamb)
- 3-4 Carrots
- 300ml Beef Stock
- 6-7 Large Potatoes
- Half an Onion
- 2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil
- Peel and chop the potatoes into large size chunks. (If you cut them too thinly they will go very mushy in the stew).
- Peel and slice the carrots.
- Fry the meat and onion in oil for a few minutes until it is brown all over (but not fully cooked).
- Place the meat, onion, potatoes, carrots and stock into a large casserole dish.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 1.5 hours at 170°C.
- Garnish with some parsley and serve.
If you do not want the potatoes to go too soft you can boil them separately and then add them in to the stew at the end.
Are you ready to try it out? I would love to see the fruits of your labour so please be sure to share and spread the love.
And most importantly, Enjoy!
Ready for dessert? Why not try out this simple delicious ST PATRICK’S DAY CUPCAKE RECIPE