As long as you know how to bake, life is sure to be sweet.
Are you looking for a new labour of love? Our country has been renowned for many generations for our beautiful Irish brown bread. Yet I would guess that over 80% of our current generation cannot make this famous Irish staple. Why not take it upon yourself to keep our long standing tradition alive and perfect the art of making beautiful homemade brown bread. This recipe has been passed down from my Nana, the strongest woman I know. She just turned 98 and how better to celebrate her birthday than to share her baking legacy! This is one of the simplest Irish brown bread recipes you can find with only a handful of ingredients that you can easily pick up at any supermarket. I might be biased but I genuinely believe it’s the nicest brown bread in the world!
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Oven Tray
- 550g/1lb 4oz Plain Flour
- 85g/3oz Wheat Bran
- 1 Teaspoon Bread Soda
- 550ml Butter Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- Add flour, bran and salt to a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in bread soda
- Add just enough milk to pull the mixture together.
- Knead mixture on surface top lined with flour, just enough to pull dough together. Do not over knead the dough.
- Place on a flat oven tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160°C for 1 hour.
- Immediately wrap in a clean damp t-towel to prevent bread form going hard.
- Leave to cool on a wire tray.
Are you ready to try it out? I would love to see the fruits of your labour so please be sure to share and spread the love. Have you already mastered the art of brown bread? Why not move on to perfecting my mothers simple delicious apple tart recipe.
And most importantly…Enjoy!